Happy Anniversary to Bowden Teammate, Deb Peterson! Deb has been a Bowden Manufacturing Teammate for 3 Years! She also celebrated her Birthday this week on Tuesday!
CNC Haas Lathe – Set-up
Bowden Manufacturing Teammate, Arthur Biddulph, showed his Ability to Learn as he completed his first set-up operation!
The set-up of a CNC machine is a critical aspect of the machining operation. Precision, attention to detail, and advanced knowledge of the machine is required to perform the set-up correctly. The operation was done using one of our CNC Haas Lathe Machines and was a set-up for a roughing operation on a customer part.
The particular part material is a Stainless Steel Super Duplex Grade Alloy, known as Ferralium. Super duplex grade alloys consist of 25% or more Chromium, which makes the metal extremely resistant to corrosion. For this reason, this particular material is used frequently in both marine and chemical applications.
Super Duplex Alloy Characteristics:
- Twice design strength of other stainless steels.
- Wide range of corrosion resistance to match application.
- Good toughness down to minus 80 degrees Celsius.
- Particular resistance to stress corrosion cracking.
- Weldable with care in thick sections.
- More difficult to form and machine than other steel alloys.
Click here for a detailed list of Material We Currently Work With
Ranked in the top 5 Industrial Markets in the U.S., Northeast Ohio has one of the highest concentrations of manufacturing companies with almost 10,000 facilities (NEOisGreat 06′).
Bowden Manufacturing, located in Willoughby, Ohio, is a mainstay on this list! With growth in the Aerospace, Defense, and Oil & Gas industries coupled with technological innovations predicted over the next decade; the future is looking bright for Bowden MFG. and Northeast Ohio Manufacturing!
Here is a list of 5 Critical Points in U.S. Manufacturing from Industry Week.
- Strong end-market demand is driving companies to produce closer to their customer base.
- Proximity to the customer base allows for greater responsiveness, better positioning in the markets being served and more accurate demand forecasts.
- Managing supply chain risk
- Manufacturing disruptions that occur overseas can be easier to manage by shortening the supply chain.
- Narrowing differences in energy and labor costs.
- The shift from labor-intensive to technology-intensive manufacturing processes has made the U.S. more competitive and diminished the benefit of outsourcing to lower-cost countries.
- The importance of innovation, differentiation and speed to market
- American companies have a competitive advantage when it comes to producing technologically advanced, differentiated goods that require precision manufacturing and rigorous quality control.
- The importance of business environment and regional attractiveness
- The U.S. has stronger laws and institutions relative to developing economies which provides companies greater intellectual property protection and higher safety standards.
Featured Positive Story of the Week:
Bowden Manufacturing Teammate, Sarah Eslinger, is known around here for her expertise in our Plastic Department. Comprising about 25% of our current production, our Plastic Department machines various Plastic Materials for the Medical/Healthcare Industry. (Click Here for a full List of Material we currently work with)
Sarah demonstrated Teammate Qualities, Willingness to Learn and Ability to Learn, as she has taken on several new tasks working with both Steel and Titanium. Bowden Teammate, Sandi Pandy said this of Sarah, “Sarah is very thorough and conscientious. Her attention to detail coupled with the fact that she asks allot of questions helps Sarah understand the job and pick up new skills quickly.” Way to go Sarah!